Savor the Season: Fall Harvest Bowl for Gut Health
Gut-Boosting Fall Harvest Bowl by Naturopathic Doctor Hannah Lollar
As the leaves turn golden and the air becomes crisp, it's the perfect time to nourish your body with seasonal ingredients that promote optimal gut health. This naturopathic-inspired Fall Harvest Bowl is designed to do just that. Packed with fiber, antioxidants, and gut-friendly ingredients, this recipe not only satisfies your taste buds but also supports your digestive system. So, let's dive into this wholesome and delicious meal!
For the Bowl:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice
- 1 cup roasted sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup roasted brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 cup steamed kale or spinach
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Gut-Friendly Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey (or maple syrup for a vegan option)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the Ingredients:
- Cook quinoa or brown rice according to package instructions.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Toss the sweet potato cubes and Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast them on a baking sheet for about 25-30 minutes or until they are tender and slightly crispy.
- Steam the kale or spinach until wilted, then squeeze out excess moisture.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat until they start to pop and turn golden. Remove them from the heat and set aside.
- Make the Gut-Friendly Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the extra-virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey (or maple syrup), minced garlic, grated ginger, ground turmeric, salt, and pepper. Set aside to let the flavors meld.
- Assemble Your Fall Harvest Bowl:
- Start with a base of cooked quinoa or brown rice in a bowl.
- Arrange the roasted sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, steamed kale (or spinach), and cooked chickpeas on top.
- Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries.
- Drizzle with the Gut-Friendly Dressing:
- Drizzle the dressing over the entire bowl, ensuring it coats all the ingredients evenly.
- Enjoy Your Gut-Boosting Fall Harvest Bowl:
- Take a moment to appreciate the vibrant colors and flavors of your creation.
- Mix everything together and savor the nourishing goodness of this naturopathic-inspired, gut-friendly meal.
Why This Recipe is Great for Gut Health:
- Fiber-Rich: Quinoa, brown rice, vegetables, and chickpeas are excellent sources of dietary fiber, which supports a healthy gut microbiome.
- Prebiotics: Garlic, ginger, and honey (or maple syrup) in the dressing provide prebiotics that nourish beneficial gut bacteria.
- Antioxidants: Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, cranberries, and turmeric are packed with antioxidants that combat inflammation and promote gut health.
- Protein: Chickpeas offer plant-based protein that's easy on the digestive system.
- Healthy Fats: Olive oil and pumpkin seeds provide healthy fats that support gut and overall health.
This Fall Harvest Bowl is not only a feast for your taste buds but also a celebration of seasonal ingredients that can help optimize your gut health during the autumn months. Enjoy!
Ready to take your health to the next level? Book a 15 minute free consultation with Dr. Hannah Lollar here.